2022年12月13日 星期二

林惠仁修女自紐約來信

 

2004年林修女(左2)與台灣失智症協會(TADA)

參加在Sri Lanka的國際失智症協會(ADI)亞太區域大會

From: Mary Ellen Kerrigan

Date: December 12, 2022

Subject: RE: Greeting

Dear Linda,

Please forgive me for not responding sooner! I will no chance boring you with all the many reasons why! Bet you are grateful I am sparing you all the details!!  I just sent a long response to your dear father and I hope he will share it with you as well.

 My heart is so full of memories of your dear mother and how she influenced my life in so many ways. You were gifted with such wonderful parents and I will always be grateful I was blessed with their friendship and tremendous example.

Hope Taita sends me one of those NTU 2023 Hospital Callenders. Amazing I really thought everyone there.

Thanks for putting me in touch again with my dear Taita friends again, Linda!

 Mary Ellen

Lin Hwei Ren

(林惠仁修女)

繼續閱讀慶點選下面這個數字             [13.12.22]

Kerrigan   20221213 週二 清晨5:55寫道:

Dear Professor Chen,

 Please forgive me for taking so long to respond to your most welcome message.

I wanted to be sure I could get the wonderful pictures of your family on a 'real computer'. So I could enlarge them and enjoy them to the full. But, I had to wait for an appointment with one of our young very busy sisters so she could make sure I was doing everything correctly! For me, it was well worth the wait! I just love all the pictures of your family trips and feel so honored and happy about the one where I was with you in Sri Lanka.

My heart is so full of wonderful memories of dear Chaw-Fang! Please accept my heartfelt condolences for you and your whole family. 

In 1969 or maybe 1970, Sr. Margaret Purtell and I were sent by the 'American Medical Aid to China Organization' for the purpose of helping start a B.S. Nursing Program at Taita. Margaret went in as Supervisor and I had the title of head nurse but not the job! Margaret needed a translator so I was accepted to fill that role. We lived in the Teachers Hostel and that is where we lived with Chaw-Fang who befriended, helped and delighted us so much. I remember well the day we went to the airport to see her off (to study in US) and how we already missed her even before the plane took off.

 Then in 1992 or 93 after I returned from a  4-year Congregational Service Position at our Center in New York, I lived in Taichung and, after a refresher in the Taiwan Language, I went to Taipei to see if I could find a Protestant Hospital that would care for HIV/AIDS patients because I couldn't find a Catholic one to do so. Arrived there too late in the afternoon so I decided to go take a little tour of the new hospital building -- when I was passing the Nursing Department all of a sudden I heard someone call out "Lin Syou-nyu!". It was such a thrill to discover that it was Chaw-Fang and she was the Director of Nurses no less!! I still get thrilled at how we got connected once again! How she set me up with an interview  with Dr. Chuang, etc. etc.

The rest is history...

 It was so obvious to me, and to all who had the grace and pleasure of witnessing what a beautiful dedicated couple you were. It was such a joy to be your guest on the trip to Sri Lanka. You know, I have tried my best to use what I learned there about Alzheimers! Since returning from Taiwan about 7 years ago, I have been involved with sisters in our Assisted Livng Area -- many suffering from dementia and I attribute  my being 'at home' and 'at ease' with them each day to what I have learned about dementia starting way back when you took me on that 'Field Trip' in Sri Lanka. Wondering if that young  nurse -- can't remember her name but something like Ms. Tang -- is still involved in that important area.

 Okay, you have suffered through all this but, before I close, let me say I still recall my shocking you when you were going in and I was going out of the Buddhist Temple at Taita! You couldn't help but inquire as to why I, a Catholic Sister, was there. I explained that I had discovered how comforting the Buddist music was especially for patients close to death! From my years of living in Taiwan I learned much about the 'Buddist Heart' and I am honest when I say that experiencing it in action served to help me try to love others all the more. helped me love more. I often find myself overcome with gratitude for all I gained from having been blessed by the people of Taiwan.

Enough!! But, also want to thank you for the blogs! It thrills me that I can read them in English!!

With loving gratitude,

Lin Hwei Ren

沒有留言 :